Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Stork Craft Crib Recall

Nov. 24, 2009 -- After four U.S. infants died while trapped in the cribs, 2.2 million drop-side cribs made by Stork Craft -- including 147,000 with the Fisher-Price logo -- have been recalled.


It's far from the first time that child entrapment has led the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to recall drop-side cribs.


CPSC chair Inez Tenenbaum is now considering banning this type of product, says CPSC spokeswoman Nychelle Fleming.


"We have had other drop-side crib recalls, and the chairman is proposing to write regulations in the next few months to address the bigger issue of drop-side cribs," Fleming tells WebMD.


The current recall is the largest crib recall in CPSC history. It includes only cribs with plastic hardware made by Stork Craft Manufacturing Inc. of British Columbia, Canada. Stork Craft drop-side cribs made with metal rods are not part of the recall.


The recall includes more than 1.2 million cribs sold in the U.S. and nearly 1 million sold in Canada.


CPSC, Health Canada, and Stork Craft have learned of 110 incidents in which the drop-side of the cribs became detached: 67 incidents in the U.S. and 43 in Canada.


All four of the deaths involved infants who smothered while trapped when the crib hardware detached and the child slipped between the side of the crib and the mattress. They included:

  • A 6-month-old in Summersville, W.Va.
  • A 7-month-old in Gouveneur, N.Y.
  • A 7-month-old in New Iberia, La.
  • A 9-month-old in Bronx, N.Y.


Other injuries include 20 falls from cribs, with injuries ranging from bruises to concussion.


more info:
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/20091124/2point2-million-cribs-recalled

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09093.html

7 comments:

christina said...

I give up. This is the THIRD crib recall we've had in our household. Baby will now be sleeping in the dresser drawer.

Samantha said...

Oh my goodness...I have this crib and I already replaced a part from January. Is this another recall on the same product?

christina said...

Samantha - YES, I had to replace the hardware over the winter too and it is the same crib.

Samantha said...

Wow...that is scary!. My son (19 months) is starting to hop and up down in his bed now so I am freaking out about the side breaking. I tried to order the parts but the website is down. I guess I can try to call the phone number listed. I am expecting another baby next year so I want to make sure that the crib is very safe or I may just buy another one!

christina said...

The phone # was busy all day yesterday. I'm going to use a couple zip straps to jerry rig it so it can't slide down for the time being. If I get another crib it is not going to have a drop side this time!

Nine Months And Forever said...

Sam, CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW PREGNANCY!!! NUMBER FOUR..Welcome to the club! :) :) Can't wait to hear what you are having! XO Danielle

Samantha said...

Thanks Danielle!
This was totally unexpected. I found out I was pregnant after having my gall bladder removed! I am due in June. It should be fun having four...I am up to the challenge(-: BTW, Lana is sooo cute...I love that photo of her. I bet having a girl is wonderful! Happy Holidays!! xoxoxSam