Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gorgeously Green

I just can't get enough information from this book!  I thought I would share some of my notes with you.  Remember, these are simply suggestions from the authors of Gorgeously Green on how to live a "greener" life!  :) Maria

When looking for "safe" beauty products (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lip products, hand lotions and cremes) look for the following RED ALERT products (these can be highly toxic to your skin and body)  Coal tar, fragrance, hydroquinone, ,aluminum, triclosan, phenylenediamine, lead and mercury.

Download the Skincare Shopping Cheat Sheet at www.gorgeouslygreen.com/cheatsheet

There are a list of "Orange Alert" chemicals as well but they say you can finish these products and purchase something different the next time versus throwing them out immediately.  Of course, this is all if you are interested in switching over to "green" products.

Some "safe" brands:  Suki cosmetics, Pangea cosmetics, Dr. Hauschka, Kuuma Made, Juice Beauty, Gorgeously Green , Jurlique, Aubrey Organics (I use these lotions and love them) Jasons, Terre Essentials, Kiss My Face and After Glow Cosmetics, Weleda, Target (Erba Organics) and Little Twig.

I looked up my makeup on www.safecosmetics.org and clicked on "skin deep" to find if the products I use have a rating of 5 and higher.  This was an interesting site!

"Safe" Home Brands: Mrs. Meyers, Ecological, Bon Ami, Daddy Van's, Method (can be found at Target) Seventh Generation.  I bet there are more but I wrote down the brands I've seen at the stores.

Save paper by stopping your Junk Mailers at 
1-888-567-8688
or Mail a request to:
Direct Marketing Association
P.O. Box 643
Carmel, NY  10512

The "Dirty Dozen"  12 Fruits/Veggies you should buy organic
strawberries, bell peppers, spinach, cherries, peaches, cantaloupe, cucumbers, grapes (chilean), green beans, apricots, apples, celery.

Cleanest 12: avacado, corn, onions, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, watermelon, broccoli, green onions, plums, bananas, brussel sprouts, grapes (non chiliean)

Bath For Baby to help with a babies immunity in the winter months:
Add 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil in your babies bath.  Slather your babe in organic sesame oil after the bath.

2 comments:

christina said...

at our next NMF meeting, we'll be going over a lot more info from this book :)

Nine Months And Forever said...

Yeah! I didn't know you and Amy were using this book as a part of your meeting....that will be great! :) Maria